Clubs Just Like Yours

Braving a river to conduct basic training

Highway hurdles in Liberia

Taxi crossing river in Liberia 

Traveling on an old public transportation on bad and nearly non-existent roads to do ministry is another way of hastening our much anticipated heavenly journey.  If this journey is not instantly made by accident, the slow path of body pain from its effect can also usher any of His co-laborers in His presence in glory.  This was exactly the experience we had on our most recent travel to Tappeta at the tail-end of this quarter to conduct Basic Training there.  Tappeta is approximately 230 miles away from Monrovia in the North of Liberia.  When traveling to Tappeta, if one arrives at the parking station at 8-9 am to board any of the cars there, he must be prepared to arrive at Tappeta on the very next day.  With this info at hand, we had to sacrifice our dawn sleep, brave the criminals to board one of the first taxis at 7:05 am bound for Tappeta.  But we did not leave Monrovia until quarter to midday since we had to wait for the taxi to get full with six passengers in addition to the driver.  We were said to be blessed when our taxi developed mechanical problems in reach of an available garage in Gbarnga where the welding problems was taken care of in ninety minutes.

Our well anticipated trip nearly came to a virtual halt when we reached at a river that has overflowed it banks as the result of heavy down-pour of rains.  There we observed fellow travelers struggling to brave the current of the overflowing river to cross to the other end by either themselves or with the help of short-term swimmer contractors from the nearby villages.  These swimmer contractors in addition to crossing passengers across the river, advised drivers of small vehicles like ours to switch off their engines while they pull and push the car across the current of the river to the other end.  Yes, we succeeded in crossing the river together with our taxi at last but with a price tag.  That is, depending on one’s height, everyone crossed the river with either their chest or waist submerged in the river.  The taxi on which we were riding was no exception as it was pulled and pushed across the river with half of its height under water.  On the other side of the river, we did not have to worry  about changing our wet suits with dry ones since our taxi carried enough quantity of the river inside it at the height of the seat level that we had to throw some out.  Our only concern was how to keep warm during the rest of the journey since we had to sit in the already well-soaked seat with our wet suits.  We had no choice but to face the cold head-on.

In the suburb of Tappeta, the gearbox of our taxi finally threw in the towel when the gear level refused to shift from one gear to another perhaps by the impact of the water.  With the help of technology (cell phone), I was able to contact our host, Pastor Kerdoe Dwanyen who quickly organized able men and led them to our rescue scene to help us with our bags to walk the rest of our distance to our destination at about 10 pm.


All active news articles